RoboRemo Users' Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drops connection after 2 to 10 minutes

2 posters

Go down

drops connection after 2 to 10 minutes Empty drops connection after 2 to 10 minutes

Post by 37mah Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 am

My project uses a Sparkfun BlueSmirf Silver and a Sparkfun 9Dof Razor board (SAMD21).  I am using my phone to connect.  The connection always drops after 2 to 10 minutes.  Is this normal or should I be able to have a more robust connection?  Thanks

37mah

Back to top Go down

drops connection after 2 to 10 minutes Empty Re: drops connection after 2 to 10 minutes

Post by Admin Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi,
No, it is not normal. The connection must not drop.
Do you send / receive large amount of data?
Do you have motors in the system? Does the connection drop when a motor turns ON?
Try to add filtering capacitor on the power lines of the BlueSmirf.

Admin
Admin

https://roboremo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

drops connection after 2 to 10 minutes Empty Re: drops connection after 2 to 10 minutes

Post by Admin Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:59 pm

Do you notice any data transfer delay accumulating in time?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 37mah Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:42 pm

I don't have any motors on the system.  I am powering it with a 3.7V 1000mah lipo.  I am using the phone to adjust a few settings, such as LED brightness, and then there is no data transfer between the phone and SAMD21.  i leave the connection active so I can make adjustments to the LEDs or recall settings from the SAMD21.  So I might go several minutes before transferring data.  It is during this inactive period the connection drops.

I am using a fully charged battery.

The limited data transfer that is done is very responsive.

I will try the filter on the power lines.  thanks for the reply!

37mah

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 am

I read on SparkFun:
"There is also a linear 3.3V regulator on the board, so a voltage from 3.3V to 6V can be used to supply power to the module."

Which is not exactly true, since all linear regulators have some voltage drop. You don't get 3.3V from 3.3V.

I think powering the BlueSmirf from 5V will fix the problem. Please let me know.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 37mah Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:13 pm

Thanks for looking at that!  I have been powering it from the SAMD21 board, which already has the 3.3V reg (as you pointed out). It will probably be Monday before I can get to the soldering iron to fix this.  I will provide an update for sure.

37mah

Back to top Go down

Post by 37mah Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:47 am

I think I found the problem.  It's the phone.  Here is how I reached that conclusion.  I supplied both the SAMD21 and the BlueSMirf directly from a 3.7V LiPo battery to make sure the BlueSMirf was getting enough power.   After doing this, I was still having the drop issue.  I had been using a using a cheap TCL phone that I picked up at WalMart (and not activated).  I got this phone just for development purposes.

So I grabbed a Samsung Galaxy J36V and a second set of boards.  I hooked both boards up to the same power supply (battery),then connected over Bluetooth  (one board set to each phone).  After dragging this around with me all weekend and switching which phone was connected to which set of boards, the Samsung never dropped a connection once.  The longest I left it connected was about 18 hours.  The TCL phone would drop the connection anywhere from 30 seconds to 45 minutes.

Thank you for your help with this. If you wouldn't have suggested the power as a potential problem, I wouldn't have had a starting place to work through this!

37mah

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 am

That's strange.
But if you develop a gadget then you don't know what phone the users will have, so the problem is not completely solved.
I still would like to know if it drops when using the TCL phone and 5V for the BlueSMiRF. You can test with just the Bluetooth module disconnected from the SAMD21 if that board does not like 5V.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 37mah Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:14 pm

I will hook up 5V and test it and let you know what happens. I agree on the phone issue.

37mah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down